Tis the Season for Gift Giving!
It’s the time of year when you’re making a list of gifts to shop for, and you’re probably already scoping out Black Friday deals. Before you spend your dough, check your list twice! If you’ve got a techie on your list who is hard to shop for, let our staff help you out!
Winny’s Top 5 Must Give List for Photographers
1. A Selfie Remote (like the Muku Shuttr) – So the photographer can be in the photos too!
2. Camera Lens Mug – Photographers need coffee on the run.
3. Bokeh kit – For those special lighting effects
4. Digital Photo frame – Every photographer needs somewhere to share all those special photos.
5. Instant film camera (like the Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic) – Get those special moments on film instantly!
Jennifer’s Fab Five Gift List
1. Microprocessors (like Rasperberry Pi or Arduino) – Pick up a kit when you are first starting up to allow you to experiment and play.
2. A good set of hand tools (including pliers, assorted screwdrivers, and wire cutters) – You might already have these around the house, but they are the foundation of most maker projects.
3. Soldering Iron – If you are doing electronics, look for one that has a range of 25-30 watts. Also, pick up solder, solder wick (we all make mistakes!), and a holder.
4. Assorted electronic components (including resistors, LEDs, capacitors and transistors and lengths of copper wire) – You never know when inspiration will strike, and it’s always best to have the fundamentals on hand.
5. Sewing Machine and conductive thread – because sometimes you need the flexibility that fabric and thread can bring.
The Melrose Audio Engineers’ Must Haves
1. Lighting – Studio Lighting (like the Phillips Hue Lighting System) can go a long way to set the mood for your creativity and keep you productive in your home studio. Candles and cool lights and lamps can keep you comfortable and productive.
2. Furniture – Furniture can make you workflow easier and make a comfortable and ergonomic studio. Simple things like a good chair go a long way, since you will most likely be sitting in that chair for a number of hours. Try Argosy Console Desks.
3. Computer Accessories – Enhancing your computer workflow can save time. Improve your computer displays, maybe add a television as a computer monitor. Purchase an editor mouse or if you spend a majority of the time in one DAW, buy an editor keyboard and get comfortable with some of quick keys.
4. Improve Playback – Improve your listening environment with acoustic treatment, or if you mix on headphones, invest in some high quality headphones to make your mix perfect. Also, improve your D/A conversion to have more accurate listening from your DAW.
5. Black Friday Plugin Sales – There are always great sales for software and gear during the holiday season. You can always find a good Black Friday and Cyber Monday specials from your favorite retailers. So if you have been eyeing some key plugins all year, the Holiday shopping season is a great time to get them.
Leisy’s Must Give List
1. Dash and Dot Robots – are great fun for kids who won’t even realize they’re learning to how to code!
2. Robot Turtles – Another great toy/system that disguises learning for fun!
3. littleBits and Ozobots – These toys can help with learning the basics and are as fun for adults as they are for kids & teens.
4. Responsive Web Design UI Sketch pads – These can help you visualize how your site will look on mobile devices.
5. Website UX card decks – These are great for mapping out your site.
We hope that these suggestions help narrow down the choices for the techie in your life! Now go find some great Black Friday deals on these items…GOOD LUCK!